Thursday, June 17, 2010

When the baby sleeps through the night...

The parents can finally relax and get some sleep themselves.  I definitely don't miss the months of sleepless nights after we had our son.  I was desperate for sleep.  This is something we face again in the near future.  I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for it.  The positive side is that we can use what we've learned the first time around.  Routines and schedules are a mom's best friend. 

When my son was born his sleep schedule was completely backward.  He was wide awake until 6 am and slept for most of the day.  That was really hard on us.  I was so sleep deprived that mood swings were inevitable.  I was NOT a pleasant person to be around.  I just couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We eventually got to the point where we just couldn't take it any longer.  That was a great day. Why?  Because we finally did something about it. Granted, it did take a few days to slowly alter his schedule, but it worked.  We kept him awake later and later each day until he was going to sleep at a more desireable time.  It seemed like within days he was sleeping at night and awake during the day.  It worked!  He still woke up during the night, but babies do that.  There's nothing you can do to change that.  Ultimately, our goal was met and we were able to sleep.  That light at the end of the tunnel...it was so bright! 

Now, my little monster loves to be in his crib. He's one in a million!  At bedtime, all I have to do is ask him if he wants to go night-night.  He says "Go" and excitedly heads up the stairs.  Once we get to his room, he pulls his "blankie" out of his crib and lays down on the floor so I can change his diaper and put his pjs on.   After he's all ready for bed, we sit in the rocking chair in his room and read for a while.  He lets me know when it's time to go in his crib, which usually is only after about 10 minutes.  He doesn't go to bed until his night-night book is read though.  His night-night book is our ritual, it's a book I read to him every night right before I turn the light off and lay him down in his crib.  Sometimes he goes right to sleep and sometimes he doesn't.  There are times where he just wants to be in his crib to play.  I have NEVER seen or heard of a toddler who loves his crib so much.  It may be because that's where his "blankie" stays.  That's another subject I'll get to in the near future...Security objects. 

It is so wonderful having a child sleep as well as ours does.  It's great for our marriage and for our sanity.  I finally have some "me" time, which is what every mom needs.  My husband are able to spend quality time together, which is what we needed.  I am also a lot more pleasant to be around...not for long though.  My hormones are really kickin', but I try to fight against it. 

I have a feeling the second child won't be this easy to put to bed.  We may have our work cut out for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment