Monday, June 28, 2010

The Non-stop Tot

This past Saturday my husband, son and I went to a wedding. It was a beautiful outdoor ceremony, which we arrived late to, of course. The bride was walking toward the isle just as we were walking up the long woodchip path. My son was, well, being a toddler, so my husband had to take him away from the ceremony so he wouldn't disrupt the service. It was HOT, nearing 90° just before 5 pm. Since we were late I had to stand back. I couldn't exacly walk up the isle and take a seat, especially when there were very few and far between. Being in my second trimester alone, I've been having issues standing for long periods of time. The heat just increased my misery. Luckily one of the photographers noticed and found a chair, which she brought over to me. I couldn't thank her enough. If she hadn't done that, I would not have been standing by the end of the ceremony.

After the ceremony we walked back up the long woodchip path toward the building the reception was going to be held at. There, they had the dinner area closed off. At least we were out of the heat. There was a cocktail/lounge area where everyone gathered for drinks and hor derves. The seating was VERY limited yet again. I ended up sitting on the floor in my dress and heels with my purse and diaper bag leaning up against the wall, because I couldn't bear to stand the whole time. My son, still quite a ball of energy would not stop running around and yelling. He was just being a toddler, so we can't fault him for that. My husband brought him outside because he was being disruptive. The wait for the dining room to open seemed to take forever.

Finally the dining room opened, so I called my husband and son back in. We were seated with a young couple and their 4 year old son. There was no one else at the table. The boys hit it off very well. As soon as the music started teh boys ran out in the dance floor with another toddler and ran around dancing. The other boys took several breaks, but not my child. He ran around the entire room over and over. He ran in the middle of everyone dancing, although they didn't mind at all. He ran and danced until about 10 pm. The bride and groom danced with him, the bridesmaides danced with him, everyone enjoyed just watching him. My husband and I received so many comments about how full of energy, how adorable and how happy he is. One comment was really cute. One older gentleman came up to me and asked me if I have to plug him in at night. I told him that there's no need, since he's solar powered. So many people just couldn't believe that he did not stop once. Between my husband and I, we took turns chasing after him, so we could catch our breath throughout the night. It was so hard to get him to sit down and eat dinner. He was having so much fun interacting and playing with everyone. We knew he had a lot of energy, but we didn't even realize that he would last as long as he did. We had an hour drive home and he still wasn't asleep by the time we arrived.

I have no idea where he gets his energy, but I wish I had a fraction of it, especially now since I'm pregnant. If I could bottle it up and sell it, we'd be rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment