Friday, June 18, 2010

Security Objects

One thing my child has in common with many other children...security objects.  My son's object of choice is his blanky.  I don't see why he chose this particular blanky.  It's not even soft.  There must be something he loves about it.  Now I wish I would have gotten two of them, so I had a back-up.  My husband doesn't like the idea of him having this security object, but I don't see a problem with it, so to compromise, we have a rule with his blanky.  It must stay in his room at all times.  Eventhough he's not even two yet, he knows and follows the rule with no problem.  As soon as he goes to his room he pulls his blanky out of his crib, but when he leaves the room, he puts it right back, then closes the door on his way out.  What a great kid. 

According to Wikipedia, research on this subject was performed at the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee by Richard H. Passman and his associates. Their research showed that security blankets do, in fact give security to children.  They also showed that a security blanket can help children adapt to new situations, aid in their learning, and adjust to physicians' and clinical psychologists' evaluations. In the United States alone, approximately 60% of children have attachment to some sort of security object.

EMS and Police carrry security objects, such as stuffed animals in their vehicles to help children adapt and to comfort them when in traumatic situations. 

Having a security object is a perfectly normal attachment and has it's benefits.  Sometimes it's hard to get people to see that, like my husband.  At least he is attached to a blanky and not something far more bazaar.  My thought is, if it helps him to transition through life and it helps to make him feel better, then there is nothing wrong with it, unless he's still carrying it by the age of 10.  Then I may have a problem with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment