Thursday, August 26, 2010

From Crib to Toddler Bed Transition...Success!

While we were recently on vacation, visiting family, our son started crawling out of the playard he was using to sleep in. It's much more difficult to get out of the playard than the crib, so we used this as a sign that it's time for the big transition from his crib to his toddler bed.

I've noticed the boost in independence and self esteem since. I think it really makes him feel like a big boy. By using fun, colorful bedding and placing familiar objects on his bed, he was thrilled to hop right in and lay down. His blanky and two of his favorite stuffed animals made the transition with him. The other stuffed animals had to find other places to stay.

(The new toddler bed and bedding)

He happily gets in and out of bed for his naps and at bedtime. Even when it's not time for him to sleep he wants to be on his new bed. Our bedtime routine has changed a bit, but he doesn't seem to mind one bit. Rather than sitting on my lap reading a book, he wants to be in his bed, while I (over 5 months pregnant) have to sit on the floor beside him. I know getting up from the floor is going to become more difficult as I grow in the next few months, but I guess the payoff is greater. We have kept his bedtime book the same. When he hears me read that book to him, he lays down. When we are finished I tuck him in and he goes right to sleep.

His naps have become more difficult in one sense. He will play for up to 2 hours in his room. Since he has the independence of getting up from bed as he chooses, he destroys his room for the 2 hours until he is tired enough to sleep. When that happens, he crawls into bed and goes right to sleep. I end up with a mess to clean up, but at least he eventually takes his nap.

Ahh...SUCCESS!

2 comments:

  1. can you please tell me where did you get this bedding from???

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bedding was a gift to my son from his wonderful aunt. She purchased it from Olive Kids. It is now being used for our second son. I still love it.

    ReplyDelete