Thursday, August 26, 2010

The discouraging doctor

As I've said before, I'm pregnant, approximately 22.5 weeks along.  To give you a little history about what lead up to where I am now...I had to get a new doctor with this pregnancy because my doctor moved further away.  If I didn't have a toddler in tow and all the time in the world, I'd probably continue to go to her, because she was amazing.  Since I do have a toddler in tow and very little time to get out and get errands done, I was forced to look closer to home for a new doctor.  I was originally looking for a female doctor.  I just feel more comfortable with a female, especially one that has given birth.  At the time I made my first appointment at this new office, there were 5 doctors there, 4 being females.  I went into my appointment, which was supposed to be with one of the female doctors, and was surprised to learn that something had happened and I would be seeing the only male doctor in the practice.  I was a little uneasy about this, but went ahead with it anyway, because I have heard great things about this practice.  Anyway, from the time I had my first appointment to the second one, 4 of the doctors had left the practice, leaving me with the only male.  He seemed nice enough...

As I continue to see him, I am becoming very weary of him.  He seems like his head is elsewhere, which is not where you want your doctor's head to be.  He is doing more and more that makes me believe he isn't the right doctor for me.  He delivered my friend's child and she said he was awesome in the delivery room.  I guess that's why I don't get why he is so different in the office.  He doesn't ask me any questions.  If I tell him that something isn't right with me, he ignores my ideas of what it may be and comes to a conclusion of his own, which happens to be the wrong conclusion, while mine was right.  I know my body and I've done this before.  I know how I react to pregnancy.  When I ask him to do a particular test, he refuses to do it, even after the test he ordered came back normal.  Then he tells me If I want to, I can get some supplements and take them, but that's completely up to me.  It's like he doesn't want to admit that he had something wrong and his patient knew it from the beginning.  It's not looking good for him. 

A doctor that doesn't ask questions, spends very little time with their patients and doesn't listen to their patients is assumed to be a bad doctor.  I have another appointment with this guy next week.  I think if things don't improve, I'll be looking elsewhere for my medical services in the future.  I really hate to leave, because the nurses at this office are top-notch.  They couldn't be any more wonderful! 

I have been reluctant to leave because this doctor was absolutely fantastic during my first visit.  He listened and spent time with me.  I am starting to believe that with him being the only doctor left in the practice, he is in way over his head.  Maybe he has too much going on to pay attention to his patients.  Still, that's no excuse.  His duty as a doctor trumps his overwhelming practice. 

It's a bit scary to even think of seeing a new doctor more than halfway through your pregnancy.  I mean, this new doctor doesn't know anything about my pregnancy, aside from what they read in my file.  Nonetheless, you have to do what's right for you and that unborn child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment