Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The big 2nd birthday!

My big boy is turning two this weekend, so it's up to me to plan the big party...on a very tight budget. We are doing a Micky Mouse theme which turned out to be a great idea. There are so many resources on the internet for great ideas and free printouts.

For the invitations: I created the invitations on the computer by coming up with a cute phrase that goes along with the theme that explains what the party is for. Toward the bottom I put the details of the party (date, time, location, rsvp, etc.). Centered at the top I placed a simple picture of Mickey Mouse and printed them out on white carstock. Then I cut them down to the size I wanted and glued (elmers glue stick works best) them to pieces of black cardstock (centered) that were cut down to a size that was approximately 1/2 inches larger on each side. I ordered envelopes from LCI Paper, Inc. online for a great price and had invitations for the price of a postage stamp.

For the decorations: I am only purchasing a few items with Micky Mouse on it. That stuff can get quite pricey! By using red table covers and red or white napkins, with white cups I can get away with only using Micky Mouse plates. I am making Mickey Mouse napkin rings with paper, glue and a printer. Other things that can be made using the same idea...centerpieces, cupcake picks, coloring book favors (for the kiddies) danglers and other decorations. The colors for Mickey Mouse themed parties are red, black, yellow and blue. Some simple, inexpensive streamers and balloons and you have a Micky Mouse themed party fit for any child.

For the food: To save money I am making cupcakes rather than ordering a cake from the local bakery. Also, I have to be sure of the ingredients, since one of the little boys is allergic to several things. I don't want him getting sick because of something I served. Cupcake liners are very inexpensive and the cupcake pick decorations can be made using simple pictures from the internet cut out and taped onto toothpicks. Since it's a midday party (between lunch and dinner), We can get away with serving very little food. We are getting pizza (the owner of the pizzaria gave us a really good deal), watermelon chunks, chips, salad and a trifle, with some pop (2 liter bottles) and water. By keeping things simple it also makes it easier on you.

For the favors: I found coloring pages of Mickey Mouse along with activity pages to create a Mickey Mouse coloring and activity book. I printed out the wording on a piece of cardstock and positioned the picture in the center of the cardstock folded in half to make a 1/2 page book. Then I compiled several coloring and activity pages I found on the internet onto pages, again going with the 1/2 page-size book format. Printing 4 color pages to on full sheet (front and back) meant less paper waste and easier construction. After all of the pages were printed and put together I folded them in half (to make a 1/2 page book), then aligned the pages and stapled the middle twice. Very simple and easy. There are so many websites that provide coloring pages for children, so it's free too (aside from the printer ink and paper). Along with the coloring books, the children are getting packs of crayons (24 pack) which can be purchased for nearly nothing when you buy them during the back to school sales. I only paid $.20 per pack. By throwing in some mini flying discs, which you can buy in packages of 3 or 4 for only $1, and a few pieces of candy into the Mickey Mouse themed favor bags, you have favors for about $1 (maybe slightly more). The kids will love them too!

Being on a very tight budget causes you to be more creative than you thought possible. Just use the internet for resources and your noggin for how to use those resources and you can throw a great kids birthday party for less than you could imagine.

After the big day, I will add photos of the party and decorations that I so easily made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment