Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Cloth Diapering 101-Part 2-Why Cloth Diaper?

When choosing to cloth diaper, the pros definitely outweigh the cons, especially with the options available today (please see more about the options available in Cloth Diapering 101-Part 1).  Cloth diapering isn't only economical, it's a healthier option for your baby and our environment.

Consider this...If you changed your little one's diaper only 6 times per day, that would equal 2,190 diapers per year sitting in a landfill.  I'm not going to lie, you'll probably go through more diapers than that.  That estimate is meant to be on the lower end.  Still shocking, isn't it?  If you were to use disposables, that is at least 2,190 diapers sitting in landfills.  I'm not quite sure on the amount of time it takes each one to break down, but after doing my research, I can tell you that it is a minimum of 200 years for each diaper.  Mostly what I've read has me leaning toward 400 years per diaper.  That's a long time for a poopy diaper to sit in a landfill!  Think about all the babies born each day and how many of them have been diapered using disposables.  I don't even want to think of it!  That's too much waste sitting in our landfills.  That's the waste your little one's generation and beyond that, is going to have to deal with and figure out how to live with.

Did you know that sodium polyacrylate and dioxins are found in disposable diapers?  What are they?  Well, they are toxic chemicals used to aid in absorbtion.  These chemicals have been linked to many serious illnesses, such as Chloracne, Toxic Shock Syndrome, chemical burns, Asthma, Diabetes, reproductive and infertility problems, respiratory distress, developmental, hormonal and cognitive problems, immune problems, endometriosis and even CANCER!!!  Yep, you read that right!  These are only the most used chemicals used in disposable diapers.  Depending on the diaper, there could be other chemicals used as well.  It's safe to say that none of these toxic chemicals, regardless of which ones are used, are safe for your baby.  Disposable diapers are actually harmful for your baby!  Think about it, if something is wet, sitting on your skin for any length of time, whatever chemicals that may be contained in that wet article starts to seep into your skin, then into your bloodstream.  When I first heard about this I was shocked and ashamed that these toxic chemicals are allowed to go into diapers.  The truth is, our government doesn't regulate diapers.  It's our job to educate ourselves and do what we feel is right for our little ones. 

Cloth diapers contain no toxic chemicals.  They are very absorbent and just as easy as disposables. I've heard people say they use disposables because they are convenient.  In my opinion, cloth diapers are just as convenient, if not moreso.  When you run low on disposable diapers you have to trudge out, even in the dead of winter, to go to the store to pick up more.  That also requires getting ready, getting your little one ready, the diaper bag that goes along, then going to the store.  If I run low on cloth diapers, I simply throw them in the washing machine.  No getting ready required.  No leaving the house required.  I can do it in my pjs or even naked if I choose.  It's not hard and it most certainly is most convenient, considering I do laundry all the time anyway.  One more load every couple of days means NOTHING to a mom.  Personally, a load of laundry is a breeze, but I cringe at the thought of dragging myself and my kids out just to get one thing.  I feel that every time I go out in public I am what could be described as a three-ring circus.  Not a pretty sight for myself, but possibly hysterical for others watching. 

When you are finished using your cloth diapers, you can pass them along to another mother in need of diapering their child, as they last a very long time.  No more build-up of diapers sitting in landfills for hundreds of years.  If everyone knew what we do, we could change many things wrong today!  Pollution being a big one.  It starts with us! 

I used disposable diapers on my first child and I can't even tell you the amount of guilt I feel for doing so.  Luckily he's happy and healthy, but I don't know what future problems he could encounter due to my lack of knowledge at the time.  As many first time parents, I didn't know better.  I knew only what people told me.  As my son started growing a little older I started to get smart.  I started to research things on my own and coming up with my own conclusion as to what's best for my baby.  That is the best thing I've done thus far.  My kids are healthier because I stopped listening to everyone else and I did what I though was right.  Afterall, these are my kids.  They are my responsiblitlity and they look to me to keep them safe and helthy.  That job rests on no one other than me. 


Happy and healthy diapering! 







No comments:

Post a Comment